Laparoscopic Liver, Pancreas and Bilary Surgery
Majority of Laparoscopic (minimally invasive) procedures for the liver, pancreas, gallbladder system and the digestive tract
are advanced surgical procedures that requires adequate training in traditional open surgery as well as proficiency in laparoscopic techniques. Relevant and adequate training in step-wise manner up the ladder of complexity should be acquired by surgeons offering this approach coupled with adoption of modern instrumentation and equipment to ensure safe execution of the surgical procedures.
Dr Chang having received such training in France in 2004 is among the first in Asia to embark on some of these advanced laparoscopic procedure and currently one of the surgeons with the most experience in these procedures in the region. He is founding member of the International Laparoscopic Liver Society and is also the Singapore representative in the Asia-Pacific Laparoscopic Hepatectomy Promotion and Development Expert Committee.
Such advance surgical procedures offered in GLAD Clinic include:
- Cholecystectomy (for Gallbladder stone and polyp)
- Bile duct exploration (for stone in the liver duct)
- Biliary bypass (for abnormal liver duct)
- Liver cyst fenestration (for large liver cyst)
- Liver abscess drainage (for pus in the liver)
- Liver resection (for cancer and other liver tumor)
- Splenectomy (for removal of the spleen)
- Distal pancreatectomy (for removal of pancreas tumor)
- Cystogastrostomy/enterostomy (for removal of pancreas cyst)
- Whipple operation (for removal of pancreas cancer)